First Time Riders
Welcome, Rookie Riders!
First and foremost, YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
Bike MS is an accessible and fun ride for nearly every skill level. Many Bike MS cyclists are participating for the first time. For that reason, we work hard to cater to your needs.
Here are some simple tips to make sure you’ll be well prepared for the ride and have fun during ride weekend:
- Start fundraising today.
- Train with someone who’s cycled before - let them be a mentor to you.
- Check with bike shops in your area for information on training opportunities.
- Set realistic goals.
- Keep track of your mileage.
- Drink before you become thirsty.
- Don’t forget to hydrate and eat.
- Have your bike inspected at a local, sponsoring bike shop.
- Buy padded shorts, gloves and a helmet.
- Make sure your bike has been tuned and that it is properly fitted
- Start with short rides
- Keep your first few rides of the year short and easy. Don't worry about speed or distance on these rides. The purpose is to become comfortable on the bike and gain basic cardiovascular fitness.
- Add in occasional longer rides
- After becoming comfortable with riding for an hour or so, attempt an endurance day of two or more hours once a week.
- For more advanced training, add hill intervals.